Privacy Statement – Meu M-Pesa
This privacy statement explains the information collected as part of the product in question and how it is used. We take the privacy of our users very seriously. We ask that you read this privacy statement (‘Statement’) carefully as it contains important information about how we will use your personal data. For more information about our consumer privacy statement, please visit our site https://www.vm.co.mz/M-Pesa
Who we are
- “we/us” means M-Pesa;
- “third party” means someone who is not you or us; and
“Vodafone Group” means Vodafone Group Plc and any company or other organisation in which Vodafone Group Plc owns more than 15% of the share capital
All personal data you provide as part of this product is processed by Vodafone M-Pesa, SA as the data controller.
Vodacom Building at Rua dos Desportistas, no. 649, in Maputo, Mozambique. We are registered in the Republic of Mozambique under number 100355256.
The data we collect
We collect the following types of information about you:
- Contact details (including your name, MSISDN)
- Technical information (such as public IP address, time and date of access)
- Smartphone Information (phone model, operating system, version)
- Customer location (country and province)
What we do with your data
We process your personal data in order to provide the service for you, Meu M-Pesa app will use information from the transactions generated by using the M-Pesa service, including transfers, withdrawals, payment for services and other activities such as date and time, amount (s) and destination (s) related.
M-Pesa will process your personal information based on:
Legitimate interest, for fraud prevention, maintaining the security of our services, direct marketing and improving our services. Whenever we rely on this legal basis to process your data, we assess our business interests to ensure they do not override your rights. In addition, in some cases, you have the right to object to such processing.
How we share your personal information
Where applicable, we share information about you with:
- Companies of the Vodafone Group;
- Partners or agents involved in providing the products and services you requested or used;
- When you purchase a third-party product or service through your M-Pesa account;
- We will disclose information if it is reasonable for the purpose of protecting us against fraud, defending our rights or property, or protecting the interests of our customers.
How long we store your data
We are required by law 14/2013 of August 12th to keep certain personal information about how you use our services for 15 years after the end of the customer relationship with M-Pesa.
Keeping the information Secure
We have specialized security teams that constantly review and improve our measures to protect personal information from unauthorized access, accidental loss, disclosure or destruction.
You have a number of rights you can exercise over your personal data. To discuss these in more detail or to exercise them, please contact us via the details provided in the “Who we are” section at the top of this Statement, or visit our portal
- Access: You can request a copy of your information and details on how we have processed it.
- Rectification: If you believe the data we hold on you is inaccurate, you can request we update it.
- Restriction: If you wish for us to cease processing your data, you can request this.
- Portability: You can request a copy of your information to take to another company.
- Objection: You can object to us processing of your information, if we are processing it based on our legitimate interests, or go to menu 150 to object direct marketing.
How to lodge a complaint
If you would like to contact us about any of your rights or if you would like to know how we use your information, please contact our customer service team on 84 111 or send us an email to M-PESA.Privacy@vm. co.mz. We will do our best to help.